14/01/2011

Incoming!!! ORKS



The start of the army.
 After a year of painting space marines and Chaos Warriors it was time for a new challenge, a new army. I have always loved the look of the Orks and I think their background is something that I can work with.Now that my space marine army is at 2000 points and 90% painted want to paint something completely different and it couldn't be more different then the Orks . I thought that the Ork codex would be a good start so I went online and ordered it,... but I couldn't help myself and got some Nobz and Gretchin as well.

I have had a peek inside the boxes and really liked what I saw. The models are full of little detail and different options to put the models together.

I really had to contain myself and not put the models together and basecoat them. It's probably wise to have a good read through the codex first and see what weapon options are game-legal. Thusfar I have only had a very brief glimps of the codex.I got the nobz and gretchin because I can really practise painting orks on them. I will need to have a look at what next units to get.

And now the most important thing is having to think about a theme and paintscheme for my Orks. I don't like painting by numbers so probably no excisting clan like the evil suns, bad moons and so on. I do really want to paint with yellow, red and black and I do like the checkered pattern so that will probably all be included. I like the thought of a highly mobile army like the speed freaks so I have to think about that as well.

All and all a lot of thoughts to be considered so if you have any ideas then please let me know.

Ideas/suggestions are welcome for:

Ork Clan name:
Ork Paintscheme:
Ork Background:

share your thoughts. I'm also looking for a good Ork skin tutorial. I don't like the bright green so a toned down green/brown  is what I'll be looking for. If you know where to find such a tutorial please let me know.

Seb

4 comments:

Dave Garbe said...

Figure out what ork god the pirates worship, and make an army of Ninja Orks that worship the other one... obviously their colour would be black.

Porky said...

I can't imagine you'll regret this decision!

You could try building names using Ork glyphs. There's a huge number here:

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=22115

In terms of background, look into Gorkamorka especially if you want a fuller idea of how Ork society could work. It might help to think about how they spread, using spores, being drawn into groups, building tellyportas and trakta beams and travelling from world to world on roks and space hulks.

You might find something new here:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ork

If you want an unorthodox approach to mobility in-game, remember that weirdboyz have the ability to move mobs around. You're allowed two of them as your HQ choices, and hopefully more will be available as mob upgrades in the next codex. If you like unpredictability, this might be worth considering...

Given what you've said about colour, I was going to recommend b.smoove's scheme at A Gentlemen's Ones, but then I saw you'd beaten me to it! I don't know exactly how he does it, but it does look amazing.

Anonymous said...

What follows is genuinely terrible advice, but as a living and breathing example of it myself, I feel distinctly unqualified to suggest you do anything but build, base, and paint these models immediately. Let the orkish impulse guide you. The codex will sort itself out later.

As for color, I've been having a tremendous lark with yellow.

thekelvingreen said...

In terms of flavour, the orks have been made rather less colourful in successive editions. There should be as many varied types of ork army as there are Space Marine chapters, but they all seem to be a sea of green and brown nowadays.

If you can find copies of the first edition ork army books -- or White Dwarf from that era, roughly #130-150 or so -- plunder them for inspiration. My -- entirely hypothetical at this point -- ork army would be drawn from Freebooterz, so it would have Flash Gitz, Renegade Speed Freekz, Genestealer Hybrids and, of course, pirate gretchin. All bog-standard orks by the rules, but a bit more visually interesting than the house style put out by GW.