31/01/2011

Adding a bit of value to your models.

Plastic models are the way forward and GW is bringing out more and more plastics. This way they can keep the costs of producing lower then with metal models and for us it makes it easier to convert models. The amount of detail is getting better and better with plastics but it has one drawback, plastic models are very lightweight. They have the tendency of boouncing to the other end of the room when you drop them.
But there's an easy sollution for that. I stick a 5cents euro coin in the bases to weigh them down a bit and it works really well. Models don't get knocked over on the table and stay in their place nice and sturdy. I imagine that every currency has a coin with the size of a base so if you're not in the euro zone you might have to have a look wich coin fits. This way you also add a little value to the models. A unit of 10 models costs me €0,50 so that's not much .

But why stop there? I also magnatize all my bases. I started doing this with my fantasy army as they have to be placed on movement trays. so when you magnatize the bases and get a metal sheet and cut that to the size of your unit they will never fall of and you can easily move them araound on the table.
But why do this with 40K models then,.. well you can put your models on any metal tray for easy transport. the models will stick to the tray even if you turn the tray upside down. I have seen DIY cases that fit metal serving trays and have magnetized units on them.Also you can imagine that when you attend a tournament and have to move between tables a lot that it's very easy if you have one or two of these trays and you don't have to worry about people bumping into you when you make your way through the crowded room with your precious painted models.
I take a pen and draw the outline of the bases on a magnetsheet and cut them out with a pair of scissors. These magnetsheets are available at the better hobbystores and some DIY stores. Internet is your friend to locate them.
I then superglue the cut out magnets to the bases.It's better if the magnet is a little bigger then the bases. Because once they are glued properly you can take a knive and cut away the excess.
Once the magnet fits perfectly I paint the sides of the base and you can hardly see the magnetsheet underneath.

If you want to see the whole gretchin unit with magnets then click here.
And then there's one more good reason to do this....


Waaagh!

How else would you mount that vertical assault on the washing machine to claim that unreachable objective on top of it.

Seb

4 comments:

Bix said...

Simples and both great ideas, cheers mate, I think I'll be giving both of these a go.

Rev said...

This is great. I liked the weight idea with the coins. I have thought of this same idea but unfortunately most of my models have slotted bases. What would you suggest for this? I have a ton of tyranids that tip over all the time and this would help out a lot.

From The Fang said...

In England a penny fits nicely. Cheaper for us! For hormagaunts that are slotta and wobbly i'd recommend filling it in with green stuff. Alternatively blu tac or if you like to live on the edge you cam chop the pennies in half so they fit around the slot. Probably illegal mind you!

Da Masta Cheef said...

lol, love da grot ninjas scaling dat washa!